Saturday, April 7, 2012

DIY: Silver Home Accessories

Have you ever bought or acquired great pieces for you home that just didn't fit in like you had hoped they would??  Here's a simple solution: spray paint!  My wonderful co-worker knew that I love elephants and instead of giving these to goodwill she gave these elephant candle holders to me and that was well over a year ago.  They've been tucked underneath a table in my entryway because the dark brown color really did not match anywhere else. I decided that if they were silver they would fit perfectly in my living room.  The horses are from the dollar section at Target (gotta love it!!) I bought one for myself and one to give to my sister. 

To prep these items I washed them and let them dry completely. The candle holders are glass and have a bit of a texture to them. If you are painting very smooth glass I suggest using sand paper to rough it up a bit before priming. 

Products used: 

1. Krylon Primer in Gray
2. Krylon Metallic in Brilliant Silver 
3. Box

BEFORE

Primer
Tip for a smooth coat: Make sure to hold the can at least 5 inches away, otherwise you run the risk of over-saturating an area which will create drips of paint 

Using a box will limit your mess and you wont have to fight with the wind blowing plastic or newspaper 


I started with the horses standing, when that dried I flipped them to get the bottoms.  


This one was just I bit too big for the box, but the mess was minimal!

 Finished horses! 



 Finished elephant candle holders.
(Vases were painted by me at a local paint your own pottery studio)

I think these candle holders were meant to be silver, not dark brown! Do you agree? Do you have any DIY projects planned for the long holiday weekend?

3 comments:

  1. wow, awesome DIY! I love elephants, as well! they look great!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good! I actually prefer them silver- You can see the detail a lot more clearly.

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This DIY is so cool, I love silver color! hmm I kind of want to silver paint shoes now :)

    ReplyDelete